PCLinuxOS.dk :: Forums :: Tips and Tricks
<< Forrige indlæg | Næste indlæg >>   

pas på med opdatering

Ophavsmand Indlæg
allanadmin
tir okt 30 2007, 23:56 Vis Udskrift

allanadmin

Oprettet: tor feb 08 2007, 17:58
Pas på med opdatering det måtte jeg refarer og jeg har åbenbart ikke set mig for da jeg skrev apt-get upgrade som root for den lavede en masse og den kunne ikke genstarte da den havde slettet min x server (surt) brug kun symaptic og selv om der er den nye kerne på vej da er det min erfaring at den nye kerne ikke "passer" til den x server jeg havde på.
Det kunne rettes med meget, meget besvær i dragconf men føj for en oplevelse .. skift ikke kerne med mindre i kan.
Jeg kan ikke ... endnu... det er nok begyndelsen til KDE 4 men jeg tror ikke alt er med endnu...
Tilbage til toppen
allanadmin
tir nov 27 2007, 10:39

allanadmin

Log in as root and type apt-get update then apt-get dist-upgrade. You no longer need the 915 resolution package anymore. I will remove it from the drakxtools so it doesnt ask you to install it anymore. As far as Firefox, once back to the desktop select it for re-install.

texstar
Tilbage til toppen
allanadmin
tir nov 27 2007, 10:40

allanadmin

Thanks. That solved my problem. Thanks again for the great work and for PCLOS.
Another question on this update. Should I boot to the new kernel and if so, should I make it the default and if so, how do I do that?
Tilbage til toppen
allanadmin
tir nov 27 2007, 10:41

allanadmin

I'd just select it to boot for now and run it a while before making it my default. If the 2.6.18 kernel is working good for you there really isnt a reason to update to the new kernel. The new kernel will help with some sound issues with the snd-hda-intel sound driver, some via-rhine network adapters, Mad wifi drivers etc...
texstar
Tilbage til toppen
allanadmin
tir nov 27 2007, 10:45

allanadmin

Grandpa, No one can ever say with 100% confidence what's completely safe. There are just way too many hardware and other variables involved. That said I'll be honest, as I read and try to help with some of the issues popping up that a very large percent of the problems are due to folks doing things that I"m always warning against like installing outside packages, drivers, in-proper hand editing of config files, etc. A meta distro like PCLOS can be very fragile when it comes to keeping your package database in the condition that it needs to be to function properly with our finely tuned update paths.
Just last night I did a fresh install on a very old box I had laying around to test for some update issues that had been reported. After the install I then did a Synaptic Reload-Mark All-Apply. It took that old slow box over 2 hours to get the 468 packages installed (not including any download time) but when I was done I just rebooted and everything was just fine.
Tex, myself, and the rest of the Ripper Gang test these updates on every piece of hardware we have at hand to be as reasonably sure as possible that they work well. I've very confident that the updates will run well on 90+% of the installs that have been maintained in the manner which we HIGHLY recommend. If you've been doing many of the things I warn folks against, YMMV Wink
Cheers,
Sal
Tilbage til toppen

Bestyrer: allanadmin

Gå til:     Tilbage til toppen